Friday, October 9, 2015

MapWork8

On our last full day in Austin, we started out by visiting The County Line BBQ on the Lake for a sampling of their legendary barbecue. After a hearty meal, we walked out back onto their spacious porch to digest. Bull Creek just off Lake Austin is just off the deck. Look what we found. There were hundreds of turtles (and I do mean hundreds) just waiting to be fed. We obliged and sat taking it all in the warm Austin sun. Each time I see turtles, I flashback to Gulliver's Field. We were baseball nuts and played on one of the three diamonds just about everyday in summer. One late summer I guess the city was running out of money, because they neglected to mow and the grass got about shin high. So what we guys do who just needed to get their baseball fix in? We brought a couple of lawnmowers from home and did the deed. Half way through our mowing, we got a surprise. Bang! The mower suddenly stopped. Eddie had hit something. He backed the machine away to reveal a huge snapping turtle. I mean big. I'd say it had to be almost 2 feet in diameter. No kidding here. I'm not exaggerating. It was a biggie. Believe it or not, other than a big scratch across its back, it was not harmed. After admiring it for a while, Eddie and I picked it up and carried it about 50 yards or so to the swamp. I went back again a few times looking for it in the water, but never had any luck.
Never saw the monster again.
You'll just have to believe it happened.
Sorry.
Cell phone cameras were still a few years away.

18 comments:

  1. I believe you! What about the mower?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe that's why the city stopped mowing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those turtles are pretty big, but are they snappers? I thought snappers don't have such smooth shells. hehhe love the story about the lawn mower, Good thing he didn't bite your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those turtles are pretty big, but are they snappers? I thought snappers don't have such smooth shells. hehhe love the story about the lawn mower, Good thing he didn't bite your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrapins and turtles are quite prevalent here in Texas, especially around the rivers and in the bayous of where I live in Deep East Texas. Some of them get pretty big and they do look like monsters and I sure wouldn't want to tangle with one. I'm glad you've had fun in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I believe you but there is the problem of "bull" creek...snap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of turtles fighting for a hand out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And snappers are pretty fast when they want to be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. For sure that would be a shock to hit a huge turtle with a lawnmower! Interesting how seeing those turtles in Austen brought back those memories for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. At first sight this photograph looked like a piece of abstract art using blotches of oil paint - only looking at it enlarged did I see the turtles - that tale reminds me of when I discovered frogs in the long grass at a house we'd just bought. The frog alas wasn't a match for the lawnmower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice shot of the turtle scrum. And, yes, I believe everything you tell us.

    Pretty smart of the city to figure that the kids would mow the field for them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm enjoying your Texas tales.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Turtles sunning in the warm weather. . .a lovely natural sight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll take your word for it Birdman :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll take your word for it Birdman :)

    ReplyDelete