Wednesday, October 7, 2015

MapWork6

Dining in the dark?
Ever thought about it?
Back home, when I'm thinking about that, it's usually a cold January night, a storm is howling outside and the power goes out. Time to eat? There, dining in the darkness... with a few candles.

A week ago Monday afternoon, J&Y took us to The Domain in Northwest Austin. It's an upscale business, retail and residential center. Another way to put it is that it's a very large and extremely fancy outdoor mall. Think all the stores you'd find at your local mall and more. Hotels and condos are in the mix too. Lots of stores. Lots of glass. Yes, it had a Starbucks, and we all grabbed something. My choice: a simple ice coffee that kept me on the move. I came too late to participate in this yoga class at a small fake grass park nearby, but watching it was zen enough for me. Later, I went to my first iPic Theater. Have you heard about these places? You sit in leather recliners. Waiters are at your beck and call. The food, anything from exotic pizzas, stacked burgers and even lobster rolls is brought right to you during the movie. Fancy cocktails, micro brews and soft drinks of your choice are available too. Get this! You are also provided with a pillow and a blanket to really get comfortable. But alas, I wanted to watch "The Intern" and not take a nap.
My review-
Beer- Fine!
Free popcorn, Super!
Recliners- Heaven!
Pillow and Blanket- Nice feature.
Movie- Loved it... a different role for DeNiro.
It WAS an experience!
Dining in darkness????

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots of fun! Austin does offer many unique experiences for their visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching yoga sounds enough for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is one of those theaters near me and I've gone several times now. I love the big roomy seats that recline nicely and I love that they will bring my drink to my seat but, I have to admit that the food is not up to par. I think I ate something there three times and didn't finish any of it at any of the times. I would actually call it rather bad. But, the free popcorn was pretty good, just not enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm glad you two weren't exhausted after your trip, I've just been back and read all the the way from Map Work1 and I"M exhausted, good thing I'm just off to bed :) Sounds like you really enjoyed the trip, it's so good when you don't really have the pressure of a deadline and can do a trip in your own time. Umm.. how do you get home again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid if they gave me a blankie and pillow I'd fall asleep. I think I want to see that movie. It sounds GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wondered about DeNiro in that part. A blanket & a pillow and I would be asleep like EG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unheard of in my part of the world. I think anyway.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, give me a pillow and a blanket and I'd be out like a lamp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Up here they call them VIP theatres.

    ReplyDelete
  10. austin has so many quirky things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you gave me a pillow and blanket in a theater, I would fall asleep miss the movie. They are redoing an old mall near me into one similar to that. It even has an amphitheater for outdoor concerts. It will be interesting to see if succeeds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To me, it seems that you are in a different country from mine, here in Maine...or a different planet! Our hometown theater goes back to 1924. It doesn't have reclining seats. How much does a show cost at this theater?

    ReplyDelete
  13. We stil prefer the old Art Deco theatre in our neighborhood. I've been in one of those "new-fangled" theaters and felt a bit strange, like this is NOT what going to a flick is supposed to be like.Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Strange but weird. We have one theater where you sit on very plush leather sofas or armchairs with waiter/waitress service. No blankies. I'd rather just watch the movie (if I ever got out to one, which I don't).

    ReplyDelete
  15. The movie is definitely on my bucket list. I saw the trailer where the young woman asked if he remembered what his major was in college. Since I graduated college the same year, I had to howl with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The movie is definitely on my bucket list. I saw the trailer where the young woman asked if he remembered what his major was in college. Since I graduated college the same year, I had to howl with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do like these new kinds of shopping centers . . . outdoors, mixing dining with retail. It looks like you are enjoying your discovery of Texas. Justin is going to be just fine! (Didn't watch the Bruins lose, but I read about it.)

    ReplyDelete