Sunday, October 4, 2015

MapWork3

As day 3 dawned in some steady rain, our plan was to attempt to run the state of Tennessee and make it into Arkansas by nightfall. After about four hours, the rain let up and it was clear sailing. Sitting on the porch a few days before setting out, with a couple of maps and a AAA TripTik in hand, our plan was to make it to the Lone Star State sometime Sunday, but once we were rolling, we both had late Saturday afternoon firmly in mind. You see, we had given my Garmin to J&Y, for their trip seemed a bit more convoluted. Besides, I swear to the Almighty, give Elenka 10 minutes with any foreign road map, and she has most twists and turns committed to memory. She's a map genius! She had written the routes in each state down in a notebook and that was pretty much all we needed. Smart phones with GPS's be damned! Really, our trip wasn't complicated after we got into Pennsylvania. It was pretty much a straight shot through most of the states. This day took us across the Volunteer State via Routes 81 and 40. Some beautiful mountains off in the distance to the left and right kept us company throughout the day. Our path took us near Knoxville, Nashville, and Memphis (hello Elvis!). It's a very pretty state, and we did find that 1.83 a gallon for Unleaded Regular somewhere in our day. In late afternoon, across the border into Arkansas we went. Little Rock looked like a nice landing spot. Justin found us a good room rate near the highway, and we settled there for the night.
Subs for dinner.
Day three was history.
Tomorrow brings the final push.

18 comments:

  1. Elenka and I have something in common, reading maps. I much prefer a map to all those fancy GPS systems. Once I've got the map visualized, I can pretty much take it from there. Whenever I think of cities I've learned to love like London and Paris, my mind immediately pictures the map.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the old method of navigating with map and, when necessary, even a compass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one heck of a shot! It reminds me of one I took just outside of Memphis heading west on I-10. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arkansas is a pretty state. And it's certainly a nice time of the year for a road trip. Not too hot, not too cool. It sounds like the two of you are having a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have been reading your trip posts. You two sound like seasoned travelers. Always refreshing to take a vehicle trip -- see more of the U.S, that way. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this shot! And I love a good map too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your co-pilot sounds pretty talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a pretty shot of the sky! I used to be good with a map, but now my phone has spoiled me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful capture!!

    Drive safe! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, you shoulda stopped at Graceland. If you took I 40 you went right through the center of town.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sky is lovely. It must have given interest to this part of the drive.

    You are lucky to have a map genius with you. My car has built-in GPS, but it has taken me through some pretty weird places, so these days I plot the driving plan on my iPhone's Google Maps and just follow the car's GPS like a map.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You guys were moving. Having a partner helps.Heather and I make a good team for road trips. Except she hates them and I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous sky! Elenka has a real talent.
    I realized DH and I were destined for the long haul when we bought a beautiful atlas together on one of our first dates.Maps R Us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's super that Elenka plans ahead and has the routes in a notebook. Smart woman!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are serious travelers. I like to plan ahead but seldom do. I prefer blue highways but DH likes to move along a bit faster.

    ReplyDelete