Sunday, August 30, 2015

Highlights

There are highlights in the air.
And sometimes there can be highlights in your hair.

Today, I'm coming clean, sort of. Back in my high school and college days my hair was long. Heck, it still is today, but that's another issue. I used to bum rides to Higgins Beach to watch the surfer dudes and dream a bit. My friend Susie B. and bunch of the Gorham girls used to drive around town with a surfboard attached to the roof of her car. I can't recall it ever hitting the water, at least not in my presence. They say you could tell a local 'beach boy' from the blond locks or streaks of blond running through their flowing tresses. Well, I wondered what it might look like in mine. Whether this added 'attraction' might catch the eye of bikini surfer or anyone of the fairer sex. I thought about going to the Rexall Drug at the corner and buying a bottle of peroxide. That would do the trick. But I panicked a bit and worried about what would happened it my science experiment took a turn for the worse. So I settle for the easy way out. I found Mom's bottle Clorox Bleach under the sink and quite sparingly combed it in. I left it in for about a minute and washed it thoroughly out. I was in a panic. If it worked, what would I tell my friends? Or worse. Would my hair just fall out from the dose of bleach?
End results? 
Nothing happened.
My brown locks remained.
Relief, really.
What a dope!
Kind of stupid, don't you think?
How embarrassing to reveal, even now.
That draw to impress.
The things we do.
Some things are NOT highlights.

24 comments:

  1. Great and honest post. The things we do indeed. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The things we do... Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one! For some reason I feel totally sane now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that we had this breakthrough with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I love this shot! It's quite beautiful. Secondly, are you an idiot? You're lucky you still have a scalp! Bleach, really? Blech! That is not to say I've not done some dumb things in my life. In fact, I did do some peroxide streaks way back when. Didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, though. It's surprising that we've lived through some of our learning experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You wouldn't have been the first and certainly not the last to think the sun kissed blond locks would attract the ladies Birdman :) If only men would realise sooner that it's a good sense of humour that is the most attractive quality!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You wouldn't have been the first and certainly not the last to think the sun kissed blond locks would attract the ladies Birdman :) If only men would realise sooner that it's a good sense of humour that is the most attractive quality!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such fun. Yes, we've all done similar things, then have been glad when they didn't work.

    It's good to be in a US port where I can log into my private connection and stop in to say hello. Three more weeks and we'll go home for vacation - the opposite of "normal" people!

    All the best from Port Canaveral,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having been blond since birth, I guess I never was tempted. :-) But I've also never gone surfing with anything more than a boogie board. So maybe I ought to trade my bike in for a longboard? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the image of the sky, clouds and mysterious ray. I colored my bangs with peroxide that was a glaring color with my then-brown hair. Did it because I overheard an older sibling mention that I would never do something that stupid. Ha! really showed her (It looked really terrible, too), and wore it with a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. have never colored my hair nor considered it. so you're a step ahead of me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the idea of sporting a surfboard without the least intention of ever surfing. I knew a guy at school who'd drive around in winter with skis on his car and -- yes, you guessed it -- he couldn't ski.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A great post about the things we do to gain approval. At this point in life, I could care less! And, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the pic and your story as usual. I tried the peroxide streak thing but it never worked well. I have to admit to helping my hair colour along now for the last many years!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a gorgeous picture! I'm glad I'm at the point in my life where I don't care about whether anyone is impressed with me or not.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It felt for a time in my life - decades, probably - where seemingly everything I did was along the lines of what you described above. Problem was, though, when it came down to it I couldn't even make eye contact with any objects of affection...

    ReplyDelete
  17. My kids used a product that you put in your hair before going out in the sun, and the sun provided a bit of bleaching. Both of the kids were already borderline blonde, so the product just pushed them across the line into blonditude. There is still time for you, Birdman. I'm sure that product is still sold.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Consider yourself lucky. Really nice photo BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these kinds of highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Consider yourself lucky. I knew a girl in high school who had a dye job go wrong and had green hair for some weeks.

    I grew my hair long in high school and ponytailed it, wore it slicked back, looked like a Goth in all black and leather.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cooooooool photo! The write-up gave me a laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cooooooool photo! The write-up gave me a laugh!

    ReplyDelete