Monday, June 9, 2014

Marquee

I don't remember the 'day the music died'.
I was alive and kicking, but the music just wasn't on my radar yet. I put coins in the Rexall Drug's jukebox and played the Everly Brothers "Bye, Bye Love", Wake Up Little Susie and "All I Have To Do Is Dream" over and over again, while Eddie played the pinball machine. That music and listening to Dell Shannon's Runaway, Do You Want To Dance and "Runaround Sue" on my transistor radio, while delivering papers were some of the first music that got to me. While working at Edna's Restaurant, there were some country western tunes that played on her jukebox that I tapped my foot to while washing dishes. I know that Floyd Cramer piano registered with me.
I thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon with "Buddy" yesterday.
I knew every song.
Interestingly, I did not know that "True Love Ways", the Chad and Jeremy hit, was penned by Holly.
Always liked that one.
Question.
Why is he playing left-handed here?
On the Playbill for the show, it shows him right-handed.
Kinda strange for MSMT.

12 comments:

  1. I'd say it works better for the composition of the graphic. Can't imagine why else they would flip it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm familiar with all those songs...love music from that era and would be singing right along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting how those lyrics stay with you, so many years later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. some timeless tunes you referenced. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that was a trip down musical memory lane! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not my music, but I have heard all the songs many times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those Everly's: my first 45 record was Cathy's Clown. When Phil died recently I bought their Best Of CD & I love every one. Runaway, it was such a favorite. I wish I could see this show. True Love Ways: So beautiful & it was in a recent movie or something so not too long ago I got one of Holly's CD's. Never too late to appreciate...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the trips you take us on down memory lane. I always liked Roy Orbison's "Only The Lonely" from that time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I recall that it's been performed in places up here in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely remember the shock of learning about the plane crash. At the time, the biggest headliner was the Big Bopper. Buddy Holly's reputation grew after his death. It was a shock to me, because it was one of the first times I learned that famous young people can die.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice shot. It was a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I've been trying for a while but I never seem to
    get there! Many thanks

    Feel free to surf to my homepage lipped mussel supplements

    ReplyDelete