Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Purple Doors

Can houses die of loneliness?
If so, this one might just might be on life support. This cape on outer Congress has been abandoned now, for just about a year. A sign on the door reads that it is in the midst of foreclosure. Structurally, it looks to be in pretty good shape, no boarded-up windows nor sagging roofline. Portland has a monthly paper called the Bollard. There's a gal who writes a column called "That's My Dump". She rides around the city and checks out abandon properties each month. Now, these buildings are pretty much local eyesores, and she does her research and finds out who owns them and interviews the owners. Her choices are really dumps! I don't think I'd put this house into that category yet. It really is a cute little place, nestled among a few towering spruces.
Dr. Birdman wonders, "Might loneliness be its distant killer." 
Can houses die of lonely hearts?

17 comments:

  1. Foreclosures make me sad, and I always wonder about the story behind it. This one needs a loving new owner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sure can die. And it is always sad to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope this house will find a new owner and new life very soon !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they can. Houses are of those things which have hearts and souls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they can. I remember those 5 1/2 years that I traveled for work, even though I came home about every other weekend, I saw huge changes in my house. They really don't like to sit empty for very long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. Houses have spirit...affected by the lives & living inside them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww. i hope it can be saved...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Houses might not die from loneliness, but this one might be embarrassed by the color of that garage door. Hope it finds a new owner who is handy with a paint brush.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that could be my pied de terre....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think they need life inside them and someone looking out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder who painted those purple doors, and with what hopes in mind? Maybe this place needs you to rescue it. Mm?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't help but think of those poor folks who had to leave this place. Their hearts must be broken.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe they do get lonely for attention.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So far it doesn't look like its loneliness has had too high a cost. Here's hoping it finds a new owner before long and before the atrophy becomes too great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think houses (and all buildings) must have a sense of purpose. These purple doors certainly give the place something bright.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh that's a wee bit sad Birdman, i think with those purple doors it does seem to have seen happier times :)

    ReplyDelete