Sunday, February 24, 2013

Dovidenia

Our family lost a good one recently. Elenka's Dad passed away in Florida, and we headed south for the service. Steve was born in Kosariska, Czechoslovakia on September 18, 1921, climbed the beachhead at Normandy, married the love of his life Anna in 1947 and raised two beautiful daughters. He was a man of few words but always wise. When we told her parents that we planned to get married, all he said to me was, "What took you so long?" He was not an easy man for me to get to know, but our mutual love of a good, cold, draft beer and the game of baseball sealed the deal. When we bought this antique cape, her parents traveled to Maine each summer and worked long and hard on helping us to restore this home. As I walk from room to room, I can see his 'mark' that he left with us. The summer porch, the windowseats, the reconstructed mantle, the exposed ceiling beams were just a few of the places he toiled and sweated for us. And when he wasn't laying a rug, painting a wall, sanding a floor, he was giving us ideas and techniques to use to make this old farmhouse our own. He'll not be forgotten. The hard part for me though will be, when we head down to Florida this spring, I'll be probably be sitting alone evenings, sipping a beer in a darkened Florida room, watching a baseball game. 
It's going to take some getting used to.
Till we meet again.

18 comments:

  1. What a loving tribute Birdman. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words Birdman, condolences Elenka, so sorry to hear this sad news. It is wonderful that you have around your home so much that will remind you of him everyday. Take care of each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for your (and Elenka's) loss. 1921 means he must have been around 91 or 92 years old. Hope I make it that long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without knowing him, I had tears in eyes reading your words.. I wish I had such a dad.Sorry for Elenka and you, at least you have wonderful memories as precious treasures to keep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am so very sorry. losing parents is never easy at any age. there is a finality to it that shifts your entire existence. my condolences to you and elenka.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My condolences to you and your wife. His participation in the Normandy invasion was heroic -- sounds like he was a man of honor in all ways -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a beautiful memorial post. Your love and gratitude shines through and I hope your memories of this man and your shared experiences live on for many years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very sad but at the same time a wonderful post. Good thoughts are heading your way from here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tribute. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Birdman & Elenka,
    I send you thoughts of comfort & understanding. It's just hard to lose a loved one...There's lots of love in your post here, Birdman. ~Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed reading your tribute to your father-in-law and so sorry for your family's loss. What a wise man he was.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Condolences on your recent loss. He sounds like a terrific guy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He was a loving father of two very talented young ladies, I may add.
    The homestead that he helped to create with his artistic touches as Birdman has said, was and still is today, the heart of our family traditions and celebrations.
    As Birdman has said so well, until we meet again. Much love.

    Lakeland Checks In

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done, Birdman. I suspect that you never said those things directly to Elenka's dad, but I also suspect that he knew exactly how you felt and that he thought that his little girl found a perfect man to share her life. You don't need words. I'm sorry for your and Elenka's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry to learn of this. I'm sending condolences to the entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear this; lovely tribute, Birdman. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fortunate for you to know and love this man! Much sympathy to both you and Elenka!

    ReplyDelete