Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Kitchen Window

Here's one last look at the snow level near the back door. This is the kitchen window that looks out on my birdfeeders. I used to have to look up to fill them. Now I just look down. Back on Stevens Avenue and Coyle Street, after the euphoria of hearing on the radio our school called off, reality set in. We had a deadline. The driveway had to be shoveled by 2:30. That was when Dad got home, and so that was when the deed had better be completed. We had shovels, but really my grandfather's wooden snow scoop was the saving grace. It could move a lot of snow relatively quickly. Our driveways were always on flat ground and long. What was that all about. Big houses mean big driveways, I guess. But just for once it would have been nice to have one short and downhill like Leo's. Light snow or BIG snow deposit it was over in an hour. For us, not so much. We counted our duration in multiple hours.
You know, now that I look back on it, it was always nice to get back to school. Now, I know why!

20 comments:

  1. Sweet memories!...That red against the snow knocks me out...I have 2 posts from my wandering on Sunday at Portland Head Light...come on over if you're so inclined!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty scene. I bet it will be fun to see a comparison with the same scene in the Spring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woaw! At least the house is red, easy to find if you get lost in snow! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Portland got us beat with this snow dump, Birdman. Lucky you! It was a pretty impressive storm and I have the sore muscles to prove it. One thing I learned from the winters of my childhood - don't buy a house on the shady side of the street, nor on a corner lot . . . you never quite get to the bare surface in a big snowstorm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This shot really gives us an idea of how much snow you got and all I can say is Yikes! That is a lot of snow. I've been through some big ones in my day but, nothing that reached that high. You really do have your work cut out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A huge amount of our snow melted here yesterday. I'm really ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a lovely photo! So, you never did like "snow days," right? We don't have those down here so my grandkids are jealous of people in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that shot drives it all home. We only had something similar to this once back in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bird feeder is nearly resting on the ground. I estimate the snow depth as . . . umm, let me think . . . about 35.5 inches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, Birdman, you are telling us that window in on the second floor? That is a great deal of snow, or your stories are getting deeper and deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photo w/the red popping against the white white snow. I think you *might* have gotten an inch or two more than we did further north. Heard about Longfellow Books getting swamped - ack! - hope they're able to recover.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I certainly hope that you soldier through this period without any more snow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your request for it to STOP needs to occur, lest you lose the view from your windows.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We didn't have a deadline that i remember but we did have a short driveway and sidewalk. We always shoveled for the elderly couple next door as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, my. another storm and you'll be eating in a cave.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not seeing any footprints around those bird feeders! You may not be able to crawl out until spring!

    ReplyDelete