Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Boot Tip

Here's a tip of my Bean boot and some brittle ice. They're not my old gum rubbers, that I wore everyday from dawn to dusk growing up, but they'll do. My brother and I each had a pair that, when they weren't on our feet, were lined next to the the kitchen radiator that always seemed to be rattling away. Through my upper elementary and junior high years they were the staple for your feet in winter. By most mid-mornings in school, my grey, wool socks had slipped to the bottom of my feet and were pretty sweaty. I had to take each off to pull up the sagging sock. The gum rubber design is still around today, but with a lot more emphasis on fashion then on keeping 12 year old boys' feet warm. They were pretty important for other reasons too. For example, walking to school and around the neighborhood, if we came upon thin, crusted ice like this, it had to be smashed. To me, much more than the smashing of the frozen water, it was the sound. Much like shattering glass, it brought smiles to our faces. 
Smashing! Crashing! Shattering!
Hey, our fun was cheap!

Birthday Wishes going out today to my Sis J- in Oregon!

16 comments:

  1. Now, I must admit that is a pastime I enjoyed too. There was just something about that sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh those were the days, when having a bit of fun was simple! Not that I have ever cracked ice with my 'gum rubbers'...not that I ever even had any gum rubbers, not a requirement in Africa or Australia, more's the pity,I think I would have enjoyed it a lot! Now I'm feeling mega deprived, thanks Birdman!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always impressed by the beautiful stories you're able to tell starting from a simple detail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's raining here now, but it is still quite warm for February...

    ReplyDelete
  5. laughing at the smashing ice memory. it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can hear the ice crackling from here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were easy to please. I'll bet you still like the sound of ice splashing in a glass of vodka and cranberry juice!

    And no, I do not kiss alpacas. I may kiss someone wearing an alpaca sweater, though, under certain conditions, the most important one being that I'm married to her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gum rubbers, love it. If I'd read your post before I was breaking up ice on the walk today, I would have enjoyed it rather than thinking of it as a chore...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gum rubbers? Haven't heard that term before, but I know what you mean, I think: galoshes? And naturally the young Birdman would have to stomp on the ice. . . oh, yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I still have a pair of Bean boots like this in my Connecticut closet, but they would be completely covered by dust from non-use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoyed breaking the ice to see the design...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder how many memories you generate with your childhood stories? Fun to reminisce, especially the warm boots and crackling ice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great shot, you can hear that crackling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We didn't have gum rubbers in Utah we had galoshes and we also enjoyed smashing thin ice. I hated the buckles though when they got packed with snow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Must be a tradition among young folks -- smashing the thin ice -- I remember doing it myself. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete