Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veterans

I've been to Washington DC about 5-6 times and on each visit I've taken the tour of the various memorials. My favorite memorial is the one dedicated on July 27, 1995, the 42nd anniversary of the armistice that ended the war, to honor the Korean War. There is just something that pulls me to the 38 soldiers dressed for battle and in rain gear. I was there on a foggy morning once. and the conditions only highlighted the soldiers and the reflecting pool nearby. As others flock to the Lincoln and the Washington, ( I do visit them also) there is some unknown attraction to this one. Maybe, just maybe, it has something to do with my hundreds of little green soldiers, that my brother and I would set up and 'battle' with on the livingroom rug. Hey, I just remembered, I have one little, green soldier that sits on my desk at work. What's that all about anyway?

Happy Veterans' Day to all the vets out there, especially to my father-in-law Steve P. struggling with some health issues at the moment. He learned to drive handling a jeep in the 'good war' WWII, and if you ever drove with him in his station wagons, you know this is TRUE! It was always an adventure.
ps. this small monument is in Groveville near my work.

16 comments:

  1. Here, here....to all our dads, grandfathers, brothers and sisters who gave it all. No words of thanks are enough.
    If I think about it, my 91 year old dad is the only veteran left in our blended family. Many men had no choice whether or not they served our country.
    These days, thank God, we have people who go into harm's way voluntarily.
    To these folks we owe a huge debt of gratitude, every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the interest of full disclosure and for the safety of everyone in Florida, my dad doesn't drive anymore.

    It's true, though, the keys of an army jeep tossed to him one fine day in Europe were the extent of his driver's education.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great shot for Remembrance Day. We should not forget all the brave men and women who fought for our freedoms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a nice monument to those who fought and served.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very nice. There aren't a lot of memorials relating to the "forgotten war" in Korea. I was just a bit too young for Korea, and went into the Navy shortly after that conflict ceased. But I knew a lot of people who served and some who died.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So long ago and we continue to make veterans and victims -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you Birdman -- I really like the Korean War Memorial in D.C. The statues of the soldiers are so lifelike it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Korean Memorial is also my favorite. Appears to be quite realistic, at least how I imagined it. Answer to your comment on my Hemingway post today in the comment section.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to live in D.C. and the war memorials there are really visually striking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never saw this memorial in DC...Goveville is part of Buxton? I've never heard of it, all these years...Just got back from a weekend in the city of Québec...in Canada it is called Remembrance Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. isn't this in buxton me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some day i'm going to join and sever my country and protect all of you and if I die I will die for my country.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never been to the memorial but I'm looking forward to go there someday. Happy vet day

    ReplyDelete