Friday, September 21, 2012

Island Face

Saturday afternoon we ventured towards Lobster Cove but veered  off on a side road and visited the Alison Hill Gallery. She was having an end of season sale and a conversation in one of the shops we stopped at sent us off in this direction. Her landscapes and portraits of island folk packed her gallery. I'm intrigued by miniatures and that's what I was searching out. If one had caught my fancy, I was in the buying mood. I would think that most of the portraits covering her walls were commissioned pieces, for who would really want a picture in their home of someone with no real connection to their life. I certainly wouldn't. As we were leaving, the wooden sculpture caught my eye against the blue sky, spotted with wispy clouds. People's faces: so unique, so special, so individualistic. So many pass our way each day in the hustle and bustle of our daily living. Ever seen a face you truly can't forget? I bet you have.
Too bad you can't seen mine.
It's a secret still.

21 comments:

  1. "A Man without a face". That is the part of island exploring that is lots of fun. Great photo, keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! yes, you sort of remind me of the "unknown comic"...remember him?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have your entire dossier from the CIA, so your face is well-known here in Stone Crick and other parts of Ocala!

    But I'm wondering where you got this sculpture of my 3rd-grade teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think in the right spot (not my garden haha!) he would be just lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seen a face that I can't forget before!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed I have. I was in sixth grade and walking down my hometown's street. Along came the most handsome Indian man, full beard, turquoise turban, white shirt, wide smile....and I was in love...

    I like your wooden guy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did you get a photo of my old department chairman? He carries a man purse where ever he goes.

    Thank you for your wonderful comment on my blog yesterday. Made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fun and creative photo. Shalom! Today is the International Day of Peace (9/21/12) May you and all countries know and enjoy peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A secret still...will there be an unveiling? This guy, not your typical Maine souvenir carving! Yes, faces are fascinating to me also...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a face only a mother can love. And the odd art lover, me included of course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually that sort of looks like a portrait of you with the bag face.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyday, when I shave myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the wooden man and understand you keeping your face a secret! Gives you freedom on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like one of my attempts at wood carving. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like me after this week. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought that WAS your face . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Strangely unique! :)
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like this picture where do you get all of these cool photos this face looks really funny.

    ReplyDelete