Friday, September 7, 2012

Faucet

This photograph is a real turn on for me. Cool, cool water. When we headed to Gulliver's Field for an afternoon of baseball, we always dragged along a couple of old 2 gallon, glass vinegar jugs for water. Mom always had them around, left over from the previous fall's canning run. The jugs, filled to the brim with ice, cold H2O, were always a welcomed sight, after an especially long, dusty, dry inning. The metal and plastic water bottles of today were just somebody's pipe dream. Usually, the N- boys were responsible to make sure the jugs made it to the benches for the cool repast between innings. But beware, some of the guys you didn't want to follow in the quench line. They had a history of backwash, if you know what I mean. If you were one of the first to drink, that was good. Your chances of seeing bits and pieces of a recently chomped on peanut butter and jelly sandwich were greatly reduced. Well, at least till next inning. Play ball!  

15 comments:

  1. Fresh water...fine; but "backwash?" Disgusting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I'm so glad I carry my own ice water with me to work each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nostalgic story and I can appreciate the community sharing aspect..but I think I'll stick with the cool water fountain

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember drinking water from an old well pump when I was away at camp with the Girl Scouts in the summer. Somehow the water was just colder and more refreshing coming from that pump. But I'm not sure I'd want to drink water like that these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in the day no one worried about germs and disease transmitted from one person to another. Just the other day we were talking about the tin cup that hung by the faucet from which everyone drank. Not today, we all have plastic water bottles that cost $1.00 or more per bottle. Water should be mostly free.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Backwash? I think I am going to be sick . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do stir up some memories for me. I thought backwash was an English expression. Means the same thing anyway. I would rather be thirsty than drink backwashed anything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. However...I'm impressed by the texture of the tree trunk.
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eeuw! Yuck.
    But the photo is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post Birdman, the comments so far have me laughing out loud! Jack and Randy hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what is that thing

    ReplyDelete