Saturday, June 23, 2012

Dune Flower

Such a delicate flower. Some things in life even now, after all these years, still make me sit back and shake my head in amazement. No, I'm not talking about  this delicate, wind-swept flower among the dunes at Willard Beach. I'm talking about the purple bikini top! So, Thursday we get to Willard about noon and pick out a fine spot up next to the dune grass in the warm sun and gentle ocean breeze. Perfect. Well, almost. Once I had gotten myself situated and comfortable in my chair,  I heard it. Miss Purple Bikini Top, about 10 feet away in front of us, was on her cell talking. Over the next hour, she NEVER quit. Talk! Talk! Talk! Yak! Yak! Yak! When I complained to Elenka about her incessant talking, she laughed hysterically! "You should talk!" She said. "Ya,  but I make sense when I talk..." She got a kick out of that comment! After about an hour, a miracle occurred. The call was over... but not for long. Within a minute, she was back engaged to her cell engrossed in another friendly exchange. On, and on and on. Now, you know I'm a gentle man, but after 1 1/2 hours of this all I wanted to relay to her were these few, simple, dainty words "SHUT UP!"
See, even at a sunny beach with a purple bikini dead ahead, I can shake my head in utter amazement. Do guys talk this much? I think not.
Well, a least there was a bikini involved!

20 comments:

  1. hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I think SO. 'Cept you don't use a cell phone to do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine talking on the phone for that long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes Jerusalem bus drivers banish loud cell phone talkers to the back of the bus. In Switzerland they have trains with one "silent car" in which any kind of talking or music is verboten.

    It would ruin the quiet of the beach, yeah.
    I don't even have a cell phone. Maybe I just have nothing to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did men talk a lot? I'm with Elenka on this one. In my opinion, with the men in your family, it's genetic. It's nice, though . . . :-)

      Delete
  4. Marchin O'NeachtainJune 23, 2012 at 8:33 AM

    I have no opinion on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yak,yak,yak, i cannot take it ! I prefer the fluffy plant !

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm a quiet sort - prefer it that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate cell phones and their rude talkative owners... People talking a lot usually have nothing to say...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cell phones at the beach, the theater, restaurants, ugh! Unless your an ER doctor on call turn them off! What ever it is it will wait. Shut up may have been a very controlled and understated response.

    Darryl and Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like you, people yakking on cell phones in public places tend to drive me mad. However, I'm surprised you even noticed the phone if she was wearing a purple bikini!

    Re your comment on Ocala: You have a way of cutting right to the core of things. In this case, that's a rather hairy scenario!

    It is now Saturday afternoon. Time to head to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a male friend, mid 60s, who can't be off his phone for more than 5 minutes at a time! Even at the beach you can get him on the phone so it's not just women.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, very amusing observation of our friend Lowell! :)
    God bless you!
    Cezar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too bad so many people are oblivious on how their behavior affects others.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have no problem in letting people know that I don't want to be part of their conversation or that I am having to talk over them. If they can be rude, so can I. I try not to, but......

    ReplyDelete
  14. Birdman -- The worst case scenario of a cell phone incident was told to me by my son. In a coffee house -- three persons set up the cell phone on speaker and proceeded to talk loudly into it disturbing all around. Cell phone talkers need to be polite -- I get a bit tired of their hubris as cell phone talkers. Of course it is just a few that give cell talking a bad name. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Technology changes quickly, but social norms governing the use of technology change slowly as pointed out by WIlliam Ogburn. Cell phones are new enough that we are just developing social controls surrounding their use. It will take some time before they become less irritating, but I suspect they will.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rarely do you see someone walking on the street without their fingers busy to their cells. And some people are so rude. I like my privacy on the phone and hate to be heard by others.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always make it a point to be courteous of others.

    ReplyDelete