Saturday, October 8, 2011

Going Here and There

Don't think underground travel here. Unlike large cities where the 'metro' means a subway system, the METRO in Portland is the bus line, that'll get you to among other places in the city proper the Maine Mall, Riverton, Westbrook and to South Portland. Those that follow this blog know that in my formative years I had quite a history riding buses. Occasionally, I still have bad dreams about forgetting my transfer tiocket or missing the bus up to the Hill and the Lee Recreation Center for my 6th grade basketball game. These days, my bus experience is pretty much limited to riding the 'dog' (Greyhound Bus Line) to Boston to catch a plane at Logan Airport or riding one of those comfort coaches south, while chaperoning a summer trip of teens. However, I must admit, to this day one of my favorite sounds in all of the world(yes, really, no foolin') is the shrill, tinkling tones of dimes and quarters making their way down the money slots of buses in my youth. Next stop, Munjoy Hill!

11 comments:

  1. Nice shot and very interesting history. We grew up so far in the country that not even the school buses really wanted to go there, so our bus history is limited.

    Darryl and Ruth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up on military bases, so didn't have any experience with buses as a youth. I do like your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That can be confusing.... rather take an underground than a bus somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about that? You've resurrected that long-ago sound . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been a fan of buses. But it's better than nothing, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you've got buses. We've got a few but they run only every other year and seldom get you to where you need to go. And the only thing we've got underground here is limestone!

    Change chunking and clinking? You have some interesting memories... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are right - that was a great sound - now we have 1 token falling in at most!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have memories of bus travel, one time I got on the wrong bus and headed across the river and onto a military base. My mom was waiting for me at the shopping center of once I got back to were I caught the wrong bus, boy was she mad.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that would be confusing for some. Nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice capture of a slice of daily life...

    ReplyDelete
  11. well done, bird. you evoke the sound of fare-paying on the bus so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete