Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ol' Friend

I worked nine summers at Evergreen Cemetery. My first day working there found me manning a weed-whacker with buddy Tom and trimming the grass around gravestones. Whatever I started with on that first day usually found me doing all summer long. Trimming stones, pushing a hand mower, digging graves, driving a riding mower and cleaning stones were a few of my jobs. The best was cleaning gravestones, because old buddy Ray and I would spend a lot of 'down time' with foreman Herb. My last few years there found me riding the dirt roads, checking on the crews and just shooting the crap about life with Herb. He had a wicked dry sense of humor and all kinds of stories. Some were about his experiences in WW II, while others centered around his family life- trips to Barnacle Billy's and Ken's for clams or retelling me his favorite parts of that latest Pink Panther movie. I was saddened to hear of his passing this past Sunday. Some people you can never forget.

18 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your friend's death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good memory, Birdman. We're losing so many WW II vets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray's legacy certainly lives on in you, dear Birdman. I'm not certain whether you were simply really lucky in your early influences or you took the best from everything life offered. I suspect it's a little of both. The end result is a pretty great human being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great tribute you have here, Birdman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tribute and a beautiful photograph to accompany it BIrd.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bratcat's thoughts and totally agree with her assessment of you, Mr. Bird. The photo is lovely with its flag propped against the tombstone and the story is great.

    Best to you,
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful memories of Herb and the perfect pic to accompany them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - those are some big, ol' stones! Nice snap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's true...some people you can't forget. I've got some I'm trying to forget and it ain't easy! :-)

    You know why they put fences around cemeteries, right?

    Played the Stone Creek course today - shot 84. Missed five easy putts! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful picture and a wonderful tribute to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like what you did for a job. I never had jobs like you but have a lot of respect for those who do. My neighbor had a job digging graves for a big cemetery up here. He told about using a back hoe to do it with now. No more digging by hand. I was surprised but can see the sense in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another touching story. I know the reddish area in the middle background is probably just some ground protected by a tree, but it looks like blood on the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nine years? You were practically a lifer. My great-grandfather was a grave digger in Lynn, Massachusetts. Sorry about your friend's death.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many of us have had an "Herb," in our life. I had an Ira who was a "salt of the earth" kinda guy.
    Nice tribute to your friend. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rest in peace, Herb. You are well remembered.

    Birdman, you had a good job. In many ways it is a lot like my archaeology work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous image! Love those lichens on the stones.

    ReplyDelete