Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lobsterman

When you think of Maine, you think lobster! Here at
Lobsterman Square, outside of the Nicholeodeon Theater, you'll find another example of public art in the city--- the iconic lobsterman. Here's some information that I did not know about it. The original was created by Victor Kahill(1895-19650) out of plaster and exhibited at the 1939 World's Fair. This bronze replica, by Normal Therrien, was installed in its current location in 1977. In 1983, the Maine State Society of Washington, DC had another cast made and installed it on Maine Avenue in Washington, DC. There is yet another one in the hometown of the model, Elroy Johnson, in Harpswell, Maine.
All I can say at this point is, "please, pass the butter."

3 comments:

  1. I love this statue. It makes me want to go in and see a movie though. Is Will still working there? If so, tell him the curly headed lady sends regards the next time you see him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the rain adds a certain quality to the statue. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Lois... rain adds a 'touch'.

    ReplyDelete