Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Wet Pumpkins

Each fall when the pumpkins get BIG in the garden(and not attacked by deer) or local vegetable stands turn from veggies to pumpkins and gourds, I think about on of my favorite images of 'pumpkin-season'. Now, let me preface this by saying that I'm a big fan of all the Wyeths for different reasons: grandfather NC- and his colored illustrations from books like: Kidnapped, Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island and the magazine Saturday Evening Post that I grew up reading, son Andrew- and his classic images of the Maine coast and Chadds Ford, PA, and grandson Jamie and his paintings of Monhegan. Maybe my all time favorite of his is the Pumpkinhead-self portrait. To pay homage to this image a few years ago, when we had a huge pumpkin. I gutted it out, placed it on my head, put on my great coat and had J- 'shoot' me. The picture is around somewhere. I'm still looking for it. It's so--- the season for me.
http://wansmile.blogspot.com/2008/11/pumpkinhead-self-portrait-jamie-wyeth.html

2 comments:

  1. We love all three generations of Wyeths too. One of our last trips before we moved out of Portland was a trip up to the museum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post. It's been awhile since I've hear N.C.'s name mentioned. I loved his cover of Mutiny on the Bounty as a youngster.

    ReplyDelete