Monday, April 6, 2009

A Right of Passage

Forneiles, Sullivan, Kiely, Jensen, White, Consolo, Lepcio, Delock, Williams, Runnels, Gernert, Brewer, Geiger, Stephens, Green, Wilson, Wertz... the 1959 Red Sox... 75-79 good enough for 5th Place in the American League. Hope springs eternal! Always today! It's Opening Day 2009 at Fenway Park. Ah... things have certainly changed a bit from that '59 season. Back then, my transistor radio was never far away. And one thing is very true-- you never forget your first game at the Fens. It's a 'right of passage'. Dad and I headed south for the day. It was a double-header against the Detroit Tigers, and our seats were in the grandstands behind third base. I think I watched every pitch that afternoon and fell in love! Time passed and there came a time for J-. As he remembers, it was against Kirby Puckett and the Twins. So, on Opening Day for the beloved Sox, Fenway is an annex to our city up here. Today? Just three words... Go Red Sox!

8 comments:

  1. Marchin O'NeachtainApril 6, 2009 at 7:28 AM

    Thank you for keeping faith alive! Ok, here we are in the bottom of the 9th and a 3-2 pitch to Yaz. he steps out out the box and points to Birdman then runs his index finger to the right field bullpen. He steps back into the batters box and here comes the pitch by Bob Gibson of the Cards, Yaz swings and hits a long fly call to right, it's going, going, gone for a home run and the Sox Win the 1967 world series......oh well, what could of should of happened! Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I wasn't born with a sport gene. I hope you'll forgive me, Birdman. I grew up attending Baltimore Orioles games and loved the experience as a child, but I don't seem to have brought the love into adulthood. Even so, this is a terrific shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post for Opening Day. Let's hope it's not rained out and the hometown team wins! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was taking some photos of some kids at school today, and one had on a Yankees shirt and he pulled foward the logo on his shirt so that it stood out. Can you imagine?? In Portland, Maine! A traitor among us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT photo! Hey, Birdman, is it true that Seal was supposed to be singing the National Anthem at the opening game? I remember my first time at Fenway in 1969. Summer of Woodstock and Man's Landing on the Moon. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like this one:] i love the red sox. <3

    ReplyDelete