Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Evergreen

I worked at Evergreen Cemetery summers for about ten years, high school through college and a few years beyond. Founded in 1855, it is the largest burial ground in the state, and one of the largest in New England. When I worked there, I think I knew the names of every street and road in this plot of 239 acres. Among the jobs I held were mowing lawns, trimming shrubs, raking leaves, digging graves and cleaning grave stones. Cleaning stones, granite and limestone, was my favorite. I worked with my old buddy Ray. He was, as they say, an old timer who lived his whole life in the city and had stories to prove it. His tales were countless, both entertaining and mind-boggling. He was a good friend and a good man. Here is a picture of Chisholm Tomb. Within, this beautiful structure, rests the remains of the Hugh Chisholm family. He founded International Paper Company in the state of Maine. It is the last mausoleum built in the cemetery, and I'm happy to say I never had to clean it!

No comments:

Post a Comment