Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pathway

This footpath through the snow is just off Canco Road, right across from the Pepsi Company buildings. Always thought this was a strange name for a street. I do believe it was named after the American Can Co. that was on the corner Canco and Read, but I digress... Elephant Rock rises behind these structures. On winter days, when we lived on Washington Avenue, my brother, the neighborhood kids and I would grab large pieces of cardboard and head for this large outcropping for a day of fun sliding on the rock in the snow and ice. I remember there was one place on the back that had a long sluice-like run. The higher up the rock you could get, the longer your run. You had to be careful though, too far and you'd go over the edge to what we thought would be certain death on the rocks below. Long story short-- my brother, about 8 at the time, went into the Elephant Rock lore books one day, by losing his balance going up too high and sliding backwards off the humpback face. We ran through the snow to the front of the rock in disbelief. Around the corner, he met us with a big grin; maybe not knowing how close he had come to his early end.

5 comments:

  1. I love this photo! The sense of depth to it is very intriguing. It's luring me in, to walk that path and see what's within.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just click on the photo to enlarge it and see the Cathedral off in the distance, perfectly framed in the branches. Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fantastic photo, I agree. There is one other snippet of information that you may or may not know. If you follow this illegal street to the top of the hill it actually turns into Murray Street, off Ocean Avenue. I remember riding my bike up both ends to see where it went to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where was I when all that was going on??? Man...

    ReplyDelete